Thanks to those that came to our candy making night. Hopefully you learned a few tips--especially what NOT to do! Since I only make candy once a year, sometimes it takes a few times to remember all the tricks. You were all great guinea pigs. :)
A few notes before you begin:
1. Check the calibration of your candy thermometer. I discovered mine was about 5 degrees off, and that can make a big difference. You can find a good tutorial here.
2. Follow the recipe exactly, but make adjustments for your heat source. Your "medium-high" might be hotter than mine. Take notes on things to change next time.
3. I cook my candy in an electric kettle (a pot that you'd use for deep-frying). Mine is non-stick and light, which makes pouring a lot easier. You could use a heavy saucepan instead. Just be careful when pouring or get someone to help hold the pan.
4. I pour the candy onto a marble slab to cool. It stays cold and isn't damaged by the molten lava. I can also cut right on it. You could substitute a heavy cookie sheet--I'm not sure if you'd need to make any adjustments. Try and find out!
Thanks again for coming. Feel free to ask any question, or if you want to make something together, I'd love to help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment