Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cincinnati Chili

A great recipe with super tips from Sara Richins, who makes a mean Cincinnati Chili:
 
Here is a Cincinnati Chili Recipe that has become our family's preferred variety of Cincy chili because of its hearty texture and robust flavor.  (Recipe originally posted here along with some of the history of Cincinnati style chili)  Once you have the many spices on hand, the recipe is pretty inexpensive to make.  I have never made it exactly as the recipe states.  Here are some of the alterations I make as well as a few tips:

*I only use half an onion in the recipe, and if I'm in the mood, I use the other half as a topping.
*I also add a bay leaf or two while the chili simmers.  No need to simmer so long, however.  It simmers long enough during the 15-20 minutes it takes to get a pot of water to boil and the pasta to cook.
*I put the half cup of water in when I'm browning the beef since this chili is traditionally boiled.  Seems an easy compromise.  If you prefer a finer texture, visit this recipe and view some of the comments at the bottom of the page.  This alternate recipe uses significantly less spices if you're looking for a milder flavor.
*I've never purchased allspice and just substitute pumpkin pie spice.  One of these days. . .  Some other recipes also use a quarter teaspoon of ground cloves.  I've never tried that.
*I just use regular vinegar since it's what I have.
*I usually use ground turkey instead of beef.  It makes it a bit healthier and cheaper, and we actually preferred the flavor with this recipe!
*This is a bit spicier than the restaurant chilis in my opinion.  The cayenne pepper is the main culprit and can be adjusted to your preference.  (My husband accidentally doubled the cayenne pepper once, and our noses were running throughout the meal. . .)

Cincinnati Chili

1 large onion chopped
1  pound extra-lean ground beef
1 clove
garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened
chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried
spaghetti pasta
Toppings (see below)

Optional seasonings: bay leaf, cloves

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional).

Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Toppings:
Oyster Crackers
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Chopped Onion
Kidney Beans (16-ounce) can


Makes 6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment